Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions on travel between the Czech Republic and the United States: Information on Travel Restrictions (FAQ)

We do not transfer visas from old to new passports. If you wish to have a visa in your new passport, you must apply for a new visa.

As long as your passport will expire after the date of your departure from the U.S. you may travel.  The Czech Republic is a member of the “Six Month Club” and Czech passport holders may travel to the U.S. without the usual six months of validity on their passports.

An applicant has the right to apply at any Embassy or Consulate abroad. However, it may be more difficult to qualify for the visa when applying outside your own country of permanent residence. If you choose to apply in the Czech Republic it is on the understanding that you may be refused, and the application fee is non-refundable if the visa is not issued. You are expected to demonstrate strong ties to your country that you plan to return to after your visit to the US. Therefore, applicants are advised to always apply in their own country of permanent residence if possible. The decision on the issuance of the visa will be made at the time of application.

Anyone arrested or convicted of a crime (regardless of how long ago) may apply for a visa. The applicant should come to the interview prepared to provide details regarding the arrest or conviction, including court documents and other information. This information is in addition to the usual application requirements.

Yes.  Each traveler or family member must have an individual visa appointment and interview. The only exception is for children under the age of 14 or adults 80 years old or older.

All visa applicants between the ages of 14 and 79 must appear in person for an interview and fingerprinting. Children under 14 are not required to appear for an interview, but at least one of their parents should appear at the Embassy. The only exceptions to this rule are foreign diplomats who are traveling to their missions in the U.S. or to international organizations like the UN.

Yes.  All travelers to the U.S. from the Czech Republic, regardless of age, must have a valid U.S. visa in order to enter the United States. This is a requirement even for children whose names appear in their parents’ passports.

There is no specific amount needed, nor is ability to fund your trip the only deciding factor in the visa process. Applicants are encouraged to bring the recommended documents for review by the Visa officer.

No. The fees are for processing your application and the visa interview, not for issuance of a visa.

The Consular Section regularly has visa interview availability a few days out. Once you have had your interview, your visa and passport are usually delivered by the courier service, or available for in person pickup, within a few days.


Please keep in mind, that some visa cases will require additional processing. The Consular Section cannot guarantee that a visa will be available the same day or within any defined time period given the need for processing or other delays.


If the training will be under 90 days, and you qualify for the Visa Waiver Program, you may travel under ESTA.  If the training will be over 90 days or you do not qualify for ESTA, you will need to obtain a visa.  The B1/B2 visa allows you to attend short, in-house training courses of up to 6 months. You should carry a letter with you on the company letterhead stating the purpose of the trip, the approximate length of stay, and that your salary will continue to be paid from the Czech company.


This depends on which type of work visa you hold.   Holders of work visas may not enter the U.S. more than ten days prior to the validity date on the visa.  The permitted length of stay after the expiration date of the visa depends on the visa type.  Please ask for more details during your visa interview.


Applicants for C1/D visas should present a letter of employment on company letterhead outlining the position and details of the job.  This requirement is in addition to the DS-160 and other application requirements.


No.  You must apply for a work or student visa.


No, you must have the original documents to apply, and you must bring all pages of the form to the Embassy.


Holders of F1 student visas may remain in the U.S. for up to 60 days after the expiration date on their visa.  J1 exchange visitors may remain for up to 30 days.


No.  You must apply for a work or student visa.


You may use your visa to travel to the United States until the listed expiration date.


Starting August 25, 2020 visa applicants will need to bring to the interview a pre-paid, self-addressed envelope for Ceska Posta (or DHL, UPS, etc.) so that we may mail your passport and visa back to you.  We no longer have a courier service option.  Alternatively, you have the option of returning to the Embassy promptly at 15:00 in two business days following the interview, in order to pick up your passport/visa.


Typographical error may be corrected at no charge with the first twelve months after a visa is printed.  We encourage all applicants to carefully review the information they enter in the DS-160 application, as this is used to enter the information on your visa.  You are responsible for supplying the correct information at the time of your application.


Yes. You simply apply for a new visa for your new passport following the normal method. Bring your marriage certificate and a photocopy of your previous visa to the interview.


The period of validity of a visa relates only to the length of time during which the holder may travel to the United States and apply for admission at a port of entry. It does not determine the length of stay which is a matter decided by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at the port of entry.


Previously, foreign travelers granted entry by CBP officials received a paper Form I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record). This process is now automated, with some exceptions. If you received a paper Form I-94 or I-94W and failed to turn in your paper Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record to the commercial airline or CBP when you departed the U.S., see the CBP Website for instructions. Do not send your paper Form I-94 or I-94W to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate General.

If you received an admissions stamp in your passport instead of a paper Form I-94 when granted entry, the I-94 record was created electronically, and a paper copy was not provided to you. CBP will record your departure from the U.S. electronically. Learn more on the CBP Website.

The United States Government upholds the right to free travel as a basic human right. However, immigration to the United States is not a right. If you are able in the future to establish that you are a bona fide nonimmigrant and you qualify for a visa, you will be able to travel to the United States as a temporary visitor.