You are eligible to renew your passport by mail if your most recent passport:
- Is submitted with your application.
- Is undamaged (except normal wear and tear).
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older.
- Was issued within the last 15 years.
- Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order; official documents in Czech are acceptable and do not need to be translated).
- Gather the necessary items:
1. DS-82 completely filled out and signed (please ensure your address in the Czech Republic is entered correctly)
2. One 2×2 photo (see photo standards)
3. Your current passport
4. Passport fee in cash ($130 or CZK equivalent; the current consular rate is $1 = 23 CZK)
5. IF APPLICABLE – your name change document
6. OPTIONAL – include a Czech Post “registered letter” (doporučené) envelope marked with sufficient postage (– generally the 100g rate for one passport, 500g for multiple passports) if you want your passport to be returned to you by registered mail. Please note the tracking number from your registered envelope.
- Get an “insured letter” (cenné psaní) envelope from Czech Post. Put the materials in the envelope (it’s ok to fold the application form). Enter the U.S. Embassy address and your return address. Declare on the envelope the amount of cash you enclosed.
- Mail from any Czech Post location. Check postage rates here.
Processing time is normally two weeks. If you do not wish to return to the Embassy to pick up your passport, applicants may provide a pre-paid envelope or include a Czech Post “registered letter” (doporučené) envelope marked with sufficient postage (generally 100g rate for one passport, 500g for multiple passports).
Please note the following:
- Sending cash through the mail is at your own risk.
- The cash you send must be the exact amount of the fee (see above); we cannot provide change.
- We will not send you a confirmation when we receive your mailing, but you can request electronic notice of delivery from Czech Post (around 3CZK).
- You will, however, receive an email from us when your new passport has arrived from the U.S. and is ready to be sent to you. If you have not received an email and/or received your passport within 12 business days, please notify us right away at ACSPRG@state.gov.