Marriage in the Czech Republic

  1. Adoption
  2. Birth
  3. Marriage in the Czech Republic

U.S. citizens planning to marry in Czech Republic are subject to the country’s requirements. Please see the Czech Ministery of Interior page Information about Requirements for Marriage in the Czech Republic regarding the process.

Additionally, it is important to contact the Town Hall of the specific municipality in which you will marry for further documentation requirements. As interpretation of the marriage requirements and legal process in Czech Republic is beyond the expertise of the U.S. Embassy Prague, the information provided here is intended as general guidance.

Generally, marriage ceremonies legally performed abroad are recognized in the U.S. without further documentation.

For further information about marriage abroad, please review the Department of State’s information provided online at

Generally, the Czech government accepts a personal statement made by a U.S. citizen regarding his/her marital status. This statement can be made at the U.S. Embassy Prague, where it is notarized. It must then be translated. Often, this is sufficient for many municipalities; however, consult with the appropriate Town Hall. For information on notary services provided by the U.S. Embassy Prague, please see Notarial Services.

The following is needed to obtain the notarized statement made at the U.S. Embassy Prague.

  • Your full name.
  • Your permanent address in the U.S.
  • Your current address, if applicable.
  • Your most recent U.S. passport.
  • Your fiancé(e)’s full name.
  • Your fiancé(e)’s citizenship.
  • Your fiancé(e)’s permanent address.
  • USD $50 fee.  The fee can be paid in U.S. dollars, Czech korun or by credit card.

Only the U.S. citizen needs to be present to make a statement regarding his/her marital status. Appointments should be made online for this service.

The notarization takes approximately 30 minutes, depending on the volume of customers at the time you arrive.

If you and your non-U.S. citizen spouse plan to move to the U.S., you must petition for an Immigrant Visa.