Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Event: Crowds have returned to Prague, and with crowds comes an increase in petty crime. The Czech Republic is a relatively safe environment for visitors. However, local pickpockets and bag-snatchers target western tourists. For this reason, you should view Prague as you would any large U.S. city and practice common sense security precautions.
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Use caution when walking or traveling on public transportation at night. Traveling with others is preferred.
- Be vigilant when visiting banks or using ATMs.
- Avoid flashy displays of expensive jewelry or watches.
- Always drive with doors locked, and park in well-lit, frequently traveled areas.
Assistance: In case of an emergency in the Czech Republic, dial 112 for local emergency services and ask for an English speaker.
If you require consular assistance:
- U.S. Embassy Prague, Czech Republic
- +420 257 022 000
- Department of State – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Czech Republic’s Country Specific Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter