U.S. Embassy’s Foreign Commercial Service organized a one-day SelectUSA Seminar for Czech investors this past September. Czech companies that are considering opening a branch, a distribution center or a production facility in the United States received practical information for starting their business overseas. U.S. Ambassador Stephen King noted that the United States is largest market and innovation center in the world: “It provides a strong customer base of 330 million people. If you want to develop your business, you cannot afford not to be in the United States.”
Commercial Counselor Christina Sharkey underscored the role of the SelectUSA program and individual state economic development organizations (EDOs). Czech companies had an opportunity to meet EDO representatives from South and North Carolina, Ohio, Virginia and FirstEnergy Corp. (operating in selected areas in five states – Maryland, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia).
Investors also heard from Jiri Ferenc and Jakub Sebor from the Fermat Group/Lucas Precision who shared their experience in establishing a business in the United States. They emphasized the United States’ unique opportunities, including access to top-tier talent and the opportunity to bid on U.S. government contracts. Representatives of Dentons law firm and CSOB shared information about the U.S. legal and financial systems with potential investors as well. Vice Consul Sonia Wettstein spoke about business visas and travel options, including recent COVID-19 related travel information.
SelectUSA is the U.S. government program supporting foreign companies seeking to invest in the United States. SelectUSA organizes an annual summit presenting the United States as a leading location for foreign investments. Investors have an opportunity to meet representatives of EDOs from nearly all 50 U.S. states, along with federal government representatives as well as companies providing services to foreign investors.
You can watch individual presentations from the SelectUSA seminar program below:
- Welcome Remarks, Stephen B. King, U.S. Ambassador to the Czech Republic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSGHAFfRlrU
- Business and investor visas, Sonia A Wettstein, U.S. Embassy, Consular section https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oOLxfNEv9c
- Legal issues setting up a company in the U.S, Petr Zakoucký & Barbora Obračajová, Dentons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipYdTtcZMwg
- Banking and tax issues for Czech investors, Jana Ševčíková, ČSOB https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uIPpGNRfdQ
- Fermat/Lucas Precision U.S. experience, Jiri Ferenc, Fermat Group
- SelectUSA and working with EDOs, Christina Sharkey, U.S. Embassy, Commercial Counselor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWiyGps_1f0
Economic Development Organizations presentations:
- Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina, Luigi Mercuri, Managing Director of Investment Europe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LXjDq0rwNU
- JobsOhio, David Dera, Deputy Director Europe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT6NGkH5ln8
- State of South Carolina Europe Office, Nicholette Macklin, International Business Development Manager https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9bomr4xFpo
- Virginia Economic Development Partnership, Antje Abshoff, Managing Director Europe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRROkc0hCY8
- FirstEnergy Corporation, Bernardine van Kessel, Director Foreign Investment PDF presentation