Information for American Citizens on State of Emergency & Travel Restrictions

Frequently Asked Questions on the Czech Declaration of Emergency

What should I do if I can’t find a flight to the United States from Prague?

  • The Embassy has been notified that RegioJet will continue to provide bus service to Frankfurt and London through April 10.  Citizens seeking to depart the Czech Republic and that are unable to find a flight may want to consider bus transport to one of these transportation hubs.  Interested U.S. citizens should contact the U.S. Embassy at for further information.

What does the Level 4 Travel Advisory mean for American Citizens?

  • Many countries are experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks and implementing travel restrictions and mandatory quarantines, closing borders, and prohibiting non-citizens from entry with little advance notice.  Airlines have cancelled many international flights and several cruise operators have suspended operations or cancelled trips.  If you choose to travel internationally, your travel plans may be severely disrupted, and you may be forced to remain outside of the United States for an indefinite timeframe.  Given these factors, the Department of state advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19.  For further information, please visit
  • If you are a U.S. citizen in the Czech Republic, please enroll in our Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and ensure you can be located in an emergency. U.S. Citizens in an emergency can call 1-888-407-4747 from the U.S. and Canada or plus-1-202-501-4444 from overseas.

I’m an American living in the Czech Republic.  Does the travel ban apply to me?

  • For the purposes of the declaration of emergency all individuals with short- and long- term residency are considered “Czech citizens.” This includes foreign diplomats, members of the military, students, and anyone else with a short- or long-term visa.  However, any U.S. citizen that plans to leave the Czech Republic with the intention of returning to their home in the U.S. is free to do so.

I’m a tourist in the Czech Republic.  Does the travel ban apply to me?

  • In general and absent any specific individual circumstances, the travel ban imposed by the Czech authorities does not restrict U.S. tourists from departing the Czech Republic. However, due to the travel ban, flights from the Czech Republic to the United States may cease at any moment. If you need to or wish to return to the United States, you must depart now or be prepared to remain in the Czech Republic for an indefinite period of time. For flight numbers and times, visit and contact the airlines or travel agents directly.  The Embassy is unable to guarantee seats or assist with booking tickets on commercial flights for private U.S. citizens. Please be prepared to stay overnight, and make lodging arrangements at connecting points and upon arriving to the United States.

I’m a student in the Czech Republic.  Does the travel ban apply to me?

  • No, as a student you may choose to return to your home country at any time. If you choose to do so at this time, you will be allowed to depart from the Czech Republic but will not be allowed back in until the travel ban has been lifted.

Does the ban on travel apply to air transit?

  • As of this time, air transit is not covered by the ban. However, the Czech government indicated that interpretation of this may change.

I read that all taxi services are suspended.  How am I to get around while in the Czech Republic?

  • The taxi ban only applies to drivers without taxi licenses.  Taxi services are authorized for use within the scope of government quarantine guidelines (for example, to go to work, to procure food, to go to a medical appointment, and other purposes as defined by the government).  If you would like to know if your trip is authorized, contact a taxi company and ask.

My hotel is telling me that I must leave because hotels have been ordered closed.  What should I do?

  • Accommodation services may be provided to foreigners who have permission to work on Czech territory and to foreigners before they leave the country.
  • Confirmed accommodation services:

For pricing – or +(420) 725 098 944

Available properties :

The Nicholas Hotel – Malostranské náměstí 28

Miss Sophie’s Downtown – Opletalova 39, across from Hlavni Nadrazi (main train station)

Sir Toby’s – Dělnická 24, Praha 7 (Holesovice)

Does the U.S. Embassy help with booking travel?

I’m attempting to return to the Czech Republic from abroad and I have short/long term residency in the Czech Republic.  Will I be allowed to board my plan to the Czech Republic without issue?

  • The Embassy is aware that some travelers have experienced difficulties when attempting to board aircraft in transit for return to the Czech Republic. If this happens, please direct the boarding agent to the Czech Ministry of Interior webpage where Czech regulations are clearly defined, in English, for public use.

What happens if I’m unable to leave the Czech Republic before my Schengen visa expires?

  • The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will provide an exemption during the 30-day declaration of emergency to all travelers that are unable to depart due to difficulties or lack of availability of transportation.  Please see the specific information from the Ministry of Interior included below.
  • “Foreigners, who were legally on the Czech territory at the moment of the declaration of the state of emergency, may continue to remain for the duration of the state of emergency without any need to resolve their residency status issues. In case of short term visa, they are prolonged automatically without necessary to contact our authorities, in case of long term visa/residence permit over 90 days, the prolongation requests should be done by post or electronically, but not personally at our offices.”

What should I expect if I’m a short or long-term resident of the Czech Republic and I need to travel abroad?

  • If you are leaving for a temporary period (while the state of emergency is in place) and plan to travel to a banned country, you will be turned around at the airport or land border crossing. Again, at this time air-transit is not covered by the ban, so you could perform air transit through one of the banned countries.  As noted, this is subject to change. Personal transit by land is banned.

 Flights prices have increased beyond my ability to pay.  Is there any financial assistance that the U.S. Embassy will provide to help me cover the cost of travel for my return to the U.S.?

  • U.S. citizens are expected to cover the cost of their travel. If a traveler is destitute and meets other requirements, there is an option to apply for a loan at the U.S. Embassy in Prague.

Can I call a hotline and get information directly from the Czech Government on the State of Emergency and Travel Restrictions?

As an American living overseas, will I receive a payment from the Coronavirus Stimulus Relief package?

  • For information regarding the recent economic stimulus plan and the latest guidance, please visit