Health Alert – COVID-19 Coronavirus
U. S. Embassy Prague, Czech Republic
July 9, 2020
Event: The Czech Ministry of Health confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the Czech Republic. U.S. Embassy Prague will be sending a daily update to ensure all U.S. citizens have the latest information about COVID19 and local conditions. Updated information will be prefaced with (NEW).
The U.S. Embassy urges U.S. citizens to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and ensure you can be located in an emergency. U.S. Citizens in an emergency can call 1-888-407-4747 from the U.S. and Canada or plus-1-202-501-4444 from overseas.
(NEW) An increasing number of international air carriers are now offering daily and/or weekly flights to multiple European airports with connections to the United States, including KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Air France, and Czech Airlines, among others. Please understand that the embassy is unable to guarantee seats or assist with booking tickets on commercial flights for private U.S. citizens. For flight numbers and times, please visit https://www.prg.aero/en/flight-information#/odlety or contact the airlines and travel agents directly. For resumed routes and planned resumptions of airline routes, see https://www.prg.aero/en/list-of-resumed-routes. Flights from Europe are only being permitted to fly into 13 specific airports in the United States, as detailed on the Department of Homeland Security’s website, so you will need to plan your travel route accordingly. Please be prepared to stay overnight and make lodging arrangements at connecting points and upon arriving to the United States. Ceske drahy (Czech Rails), Regiojet and other train operators have resumed train travel from the Czech Republic to multiple countries and locations. For more information and to book travel, see https://www.regiojet.com/news/buses/2020-03-02-coronavirus.html and https://www.cd.cz/en/default.htm
(NEW) U.S. citizens whose Czech visas or Czech residency permits expired during the state of emergency in the Czech Republic are allowed to remain in the Czech Republic until July 16, 2020. Departing U.S. citizens should obtain a passport stamp from the Czech police prior to leaving the Czech Republic, further information is here. Foreign nationals, including U.S. citizens, who wish to remain in the Czech Republic beyond July 16, 2020 must take steps set out by the Czech authorities at the Czech Ministry of the Interior site.
We understand how difficult the current situation is for those trying to get home to the United States. The U.S. Embassy in Prague is actively exploring all options to assist U.S. citizens in the Czech Republic and will continue to provide additional updates.
Restrictions: The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
Please see additional information for U.S. Citizens Returning from Europe on the Department of State’s website regarding where U.S. citizens are allowed to transit en route to the United States.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of U.S. personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
Embassy Services: Effective March 16, 2020, the U.S. Embassy in Prague has suspended routine services. For routine or emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airline regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the Czech Republic.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Prague, Czech Republic
- Tržiště 365/15, 118 00 Malá Strana
- +420 257 022 000
- State Department–Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Czech Republic Country Specific Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter